Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Interview with the author of "Practical Probverbs for Everyday Living" Lawrence Elliott



Lawrence Elliott was born in one of the beautiful islands of the Bahamas called New Providence. He is married to a lovely woman named Deborah. His passion is to teach humankind time tested principles, so that they can live their lives more effectively. Over the years, he has volunteered teaching boys at a junior high school, children at Sunday school and adults at various churches and community organizations. He believes that wisdom is a key component to living a successful life; one of his statements is “Godly wisdom will cause you to live a good life”.

What are some of the things that have influenced/inspired your writing?

Initially, my inspiration to write books came from my late pastor, Dr. Myles Munroe. Subsequently, I began to write several books. He taught me that you should “die empty”. This statement means that you should pour out everything that God has given you, into other people, so that the world can become a better place. However, the Holy Spirit directly influenced “Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living”. I thank God for all avenues of inspiration that He has given me.


Can you share some writing experiences with us?

I would wake up in the morning looking forward to the Holy Spirit depositing proverbs into me that day. I would always have my pen and paper ready and write down everything that he gave me. I also looked forward to encountering situations that I can convert into proverbs. Sometimes I would tweak the proverbs so that it can be on point to reflect the message that I wanted to portray. Writing was my daily exercise and I loved flexing the muscle of my mind to accomplish the task to become a good author.


Tell us briefly about your recently published book and what you feel is the most important topic/sub-message you share.

Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living is a book of wisdom keys that would help the reader to make good choices in order for them to live a more fruitful life. These keys will give the reader wisdom, guidance, protection, prosperity and peace. This book speaks directly to the heart by giving you wisdom and inspiration to live your best life. The most important message that I share is that God should be the foundation of your life. Everything good that we require and desire comes from Him; when we put God first in our lives, we will have a life filled with gratitude and peace.  

 Like all authors, you have had your fair share of rejection letters. You obviously did not let the letters deter you. How did you keep your determination without getting discouraged?

I did not have any rejection letters. I guess it was because my book was self-published and it is a positive book. Every self-publishing company that I submitted my manuscript to approved it. It was only a matter of choosing the best fit for me.

  
It has been my experience, some things come quite easily (like creating the setting) and other things are not so easy (like deciding on a title). What comes easily to you and what do you find more difficult? 

What comes easy to me is the title of the book, especially with this book because God directly gave me the title. The most difficult part for me was to write the proverbs in a way that would reach the heart of the reader in a helpful way. Another small difficulty was placing a proverb in the most relative category. Some proverbs could have been placed in two or three categories. I had to decide which category would be most effective for each multi-categorized proverb.
 
Please describe to us your relationship between you and your editor. What makes an author/editor relationship a success?
 

The relationship that I have with my editor is beautiful. I have the privileges of making changes if I so desired. What makes an author/ editor relationship a success is that both parties should have a great passion for the common goal to be accomplished. The common goal is for the book to be written in the most effective way to yield the best results. When both parties focus on the success of the mission, then this cohesiveness would form a fruitful relationship.   
 
When they write your obituary, what do you hope they will say about your books and writing? What do you hope they will say about you?

I sincerely hope that they would say that Lawrence Elliott received wisdom from God and placed it in books to help humankind live in peace and harmony. His writings are a cornerstone for building a productive and purposeful life. His books are to be used as reference points for individuals to refer to when they encounter situations that are linked to his teachings. I hope that they will say that I was a righteous man of wisdom, purpose and accomplishments. He was a man that served his gifts and talents exceptionally well to humanity, subsequently causing individuals to fulfill their God given dream. He left a great legacy for generations to come.

  

Is there any particular book when you read it, you thought, "I wish I had written that!"?

Yes, a book comes to my mind. The book is, “Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. I believe that every person on this planet should live a comfortable life at a minimum and a luxurious life if they so desired. This book teaches the reader that it does not matter how deprived you are, you have a right to obtain wealth in this world. For too long we were taught that only a few of us have access to wealth. This is a great and inspiring book for the masses to read so that they can live an abundant life.

 Have you ever suffered from writer’s block? If yes, how did you ‘cure’ it?

No, I have not suffered from writers block. The world is too diverse for that. The almighty God is a creator and I am an offspring of Him, so all I have to do is tap into the creativity that he placed within me to get the job done.

What type of books do you mostly write?

I mostly write books of wisdom, wealth, inspiration and encouragement. Additionally, I write books on how to live a holistic abundant life.


Who or what inspires your characters and/or plots?

Firstly God, then life experiences (personal and other people) and the quest to learn how man should function properly on this planet. I believe that if you follow the patterns of the manufacturer of this earth, you will have an interesting book.

Tell us about your writing space.

I like to write at my dining room table when no one is in the front part of the house. It is a nice quiet cool spot that allows me to think freely. I also get a chance to look at nicely manicured lawns and the beautiful green trees in the neighborhood.

Is there anything you'd go back and do differently now that you have been published, in regards to your writing career? 

I would create a page in the book with the adequate amount of space for me to write autographs. Also, I would proficiently expand my vocabulary and write more, in order for me to be categorized as a professional writer.

Do you do first drafts on a computer or by hand?

I do first drafts by hand because it is more convenient for me. Additionally, the act of writing helps you clarify your thoughts, remember things better and reach your goals more surely.
How do you see the future of book publishing, both traditional, electronic and print on demand?

I see traditional publishing slowly declining. I think electronic publishing will tremendously increase over the coming years because the young people are technology driven. As their generation move forward, they will bring technology along with them. I see print on demand increasing, but at a slower pace than electronic publishing. My view is that books will always be around. They will not be completely eliminated; they will only be printed in a more cost effective manner.

What happens before sitting down to write? (Explain your creative process.)

Before I sit down to write, I mediate, gather my thoughts, and then begin to write. If I do, loose my trend of thought during the writing process, I would ask the Holy Spirit to bring back the thought that I was thinking.

Do you do a lot of research for your book(s)?

I have not done any research in my writings thus far. I would only meditate on what I want to say and then write it. The Holy Spirit has given me many of my proverbs and the others came from life experiences.

What voice do you find most to your liking: first person or third person? (Answer only if you write fiction)

Have you received any awards?

No, I have not received any rewards as yet. However, in the future I do look forward to receiving some.

What advice would you give to a new writer?

My advice to a new writer is to write on a topic that you’re passionate about. In this way, you will be maximizing your writing gift. If your topic needs researching, then do your research. I also recommend that you do a lot of reading so that you can expand your vocabulary and keep up to date with current trends. Additionally, learn about the publishing types and process so that you will be equipped with information to make the best choices that are suitable to you. Finally, choose a good well-rounded publisher who will meet your needs in editing, publishing and marketing.

Do you have any book signings, tours or special events planned to promote your book that readers might be interested in attending? If so, when and where?

I do not have any events that some can attend at this time. I only have online promotion at this time.
 
Use this space to tell us more about your book’s characters. Anything you want your readers to know. Include information on where to find your book(s), any blogs you may have, or how a reader can learn more about you and/or your book(s).

My book is a unique book; it does not have any characters, only wise teachings to help the reader have a better life. Practical Proverbs for Everyday Living is a book that should be studied more than read so that the reader will have the wisdom keys embedded in their hearts to overcome life’s circumstances. My book is available at Halo Publishing, Amazon, Barnes&Noble and all major online bookstores. Readers can learn more about me on www.facebook.com/zirconempowerment.


I thank you for taking the time to share with my readers about being an author.

No comments:

Post a Comment