Pages

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Interview with Debut Author Maryann Tatro



Please share your bio with us and anything else you would like readers to know.
I grew up in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.  I currently live in Wadsworth, Oh. With my husband Dennis and our cat.  After high school I attended Southern Ohio Business College and received a degree in communication.  I also attended Cooper School of Art for one year.  I worked several years for a publishing company in Cleveland. My husband and I enjoy nature walks, antiques, yards sales and being with our family.
                                      
What are some of the things that have influenced/inspired your writing?
I would have to say when I write my stories I am inspired by past memories, special events and nature.  All of these combined get my creative juices flowing and my imagination takes over and I love when that happens.

Can you share some writing experiences with us?
Some years back when I first tried my hand at writing, I was invited to a garden/homeowners party.  I was there for several hours and bored out of my gourd.  All I could think of was finding an excuse, any excuse to leave, so I started to think of some funny story I could take away with me so my day wasn’t completely ridiculous and could salvage what was left of the afternoon.  Well, I started talking to myself OUT LOUD not realizing I had an audience.  A few people I didn’t know asked if I was feeling ok, and then it hit me, MY EXCUSE TO LEAVE!!!!! Was I feeling well or not?  That will be my secret….

Tell us briefly about your recently published book and what you feel is the most important topic/sub-message you share.
Milton is about a turtle with a square shell.  Being new to the area, he decides to go down to the pond to relax.  Just when he thinks he finds the perfect spot, he can’t stay, but soon discovers, home is the best place to relax.

The message I want to share is we are all different and unique and that includes nature. 
Milton sticks up for himself, but without causing a problem.  I want children to know sometimes you just have to walk away from a situation and keep peace.

Like all authors, you have had your fair share of rejection letters. You obviously did not let the letters deter you. How did you keep your determination without getting discouraged?
I self-published my book, however, when it came time for the review, I honestly felt sick.
I was always told if one door closes, another will open and that’s what I stuck with.  I have strong faith in God and I must say to me, prayer is the key.

Please describe to us your relationship between you and your editor. What makes an author/editor relationship a success?
Because I self-published my book, I never met my editor. 

When they write your obituary, what do you hope they will say about your books and writing? What do you hope they will say about you?
I hope people will say that MaryAnn loved to celebrate life and she was creative in her own way and her books reflect that.
 
Who or what inspires your characters and/or plots?
My inspiration comes from my family and past or present events and I can then create a story from that.  I like to add a piece of personality to my characters from each family member so that no one feels left out.  Plus, my family is silly anyway, so I don’t have much of a problem fitting what personality with what character after I name that character.

Tell us about your writing space.
It’s a small room with my desk computer(of course), a television, a very loud clock and a table where my cat, Abigail, likes to curl up on and nap.  The walls are a earth-tone color and the carpet matches exactly my cat’s hair.  My husband always jokes that when you see the carpet move at night, it’s the cat.  Don’t step on it!!!!!

Is there anything you'd go back and do differently now that you have been published, in regards to your writing career?
No, nothing different.

How do you see the future of book publishing, both traditional, electronic and print on demand?
In this day and age of technology and people wanting the need to speed(per say), I see good things ahead.  Supply and demand are necessary for a growing economy. 

What advice would you give to a new writer?
Never give up, persevere, and when one door closes, another will open.

Use this space to tell us more about your book’s characters. Anything you want your readers to know. Include information on where to find your book(s), any blogs you may have or a reader can learn more about you and/or your book(s).
I want my readers to judge the book for themselves and take with them that we are all different and unique.  I have sold many books from my own personal order from Halo Publishing and I receive good, positive feedback.  Children as well as parents love the book and are looking forward to another Milton story.  The illustrations are colorful and great to view.  Readers can find me at Halo Publishing on their website, just click on authors to know more about me and my book, I am on amazon, google, barnes and noble,
e-bay, or they can contact me at:dtatro62@yahoo.com and I will be happy to speak or e-mail each and every reader.


1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed spotlighting this book on my blog earlier this month. : )

    ReplyDelete